Monday, June 9, 2008

I love teaching Popsongs to students!

Today, I was very satistifed with Jeff's evening activity class. Because I have a lot of interest in teaching English to students through Pop-songs. Sometimes I opened a singing contest, where students, in groups, had to sing the pop-song which they had learned. But it was a little difficult and costly to find the pre-recorded music (without the singer's voice).
Jeff introduced a useful internet site where I can get the pre-recored music for nothing!! Just thinking of using it in my real class makes me very excited.

Now, what I need is a long list of good pop-songs. But it should be not too difficult to follow. iI teach middle school students.
Last year, I taught 'Last christmas', 'As long as you love me', 'Baby, one more time', 'Uptown girl' and so on.
So, if you know good pop-songs for my students, please let me know what they are!!!

6 comments:

Nicole said...

Hi Carry,
I'm glad that Jeff's class gave you such a great resource for teaching. I can suggest Norah Jones for female students because her music is easy to follow. Boys don't generally like that kind of slow romantic music though.

therese said...

Hi Carry - I used to teach what my students wanted to learn. My favorites are songs from Sound of Music, but they have different taste from me. If you read through portfolios on the third floor, you'll get a lot of information. I strongly recommend that you should read Heeil's. Good luck!

Olive's Garden said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Olive's Garden said...

Hi~ Carry, your presentation was really good, today. When I taught my students "Upside down, So sick, Paper Mache, Lemon tree, Anyone of us", they really loved them. Sometimes, I told my students to bring what they liked and then, checked and chose the good ones.

If you take photos of them while singing and make movie clips, they'll really like it. I did this last year, they were really into singing popsongs.

Anne said...

Have you ever heard "No matter what?" It's a good song to practice the grammar "no matter~".

And an old pop song, El Condor Pasa(by Simon and Gafunkle?) is good to practice the expression "I'd rather ~"

Bye!

rose said...

Hi, Carry...!
Your club presentation was great. As a classmate, I was proud of you...Good job!
I still remember the lyrics of some old popsongs which my English teacher taught us 24 years ago. To teach English using English is good. I taught some popsongs to my students...and they said they liked Beatles' songs. Hey Judy or Let it be etc. They are over 30 years nowadays, so I'm not sure your student like or not. Anyway famous songs will be better..