Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Teaching 'SPEAKING ENGLISH' ?

In my English class, I used to focus mostly on reading or listening part.
Of course, the two parts are most influential in the regular tests, however, also, it is because I hesitated to teach 'speaking' part.
If I can use right and proper English expressions or speak English more fluently, I think, I will teach students speaking part more often in my class.
Anyhow, even though I am not a perfect English speaker, as an English teacher, I can't ignore 'speaking' part any more. However, I think if I know some appropriate methods to teach that part, I can teach it more easily and successfully, despite a poor English speaking ability.
So, I want to get some tips for a successful speaking class from you.
In your class, how do you teach 'speaking' part?
Do you have any good idea?

3 comments:

James said...

Hi, Carry.
Did you enjoy dinner? What a nice meeting! I envy you.
I think your speaking is already enough to teach speaking in your class. Don't worry about your speaking skill. Even native speakers are not perfect. With your passion and devotion, your can cover your possible mistakes in your class. Expecially in speaking, I think, fluency is more important than accuracy. How about spending some time improving your English ability. Because you can teach better with your fluent English.

Thank you.

Jasper said...

Hi Carry,
In my case, I have few experience of teaching English speaking. So I am concerned about how to teach speaking. I rarely utilized the way of just making students memorize useful expressions. But I don't think that it is a desirable method, because that makes students bored. So I am thinking about the problem like you. I would like to get good information here.

JAKE said...

Hi. Carrrrry! My precious!
You have a good question now. I think you are on the right direction to teaching English in the classroom. I have very few experience teaching speaking in the classroom. But, I think speaking is important skill as an EFL student. Nicole's class and Sam's class could be a good model to follow. And also, Walter's way of speaking is a good example to naturally introduce classroom conversation. And Reggie's humorous comment could be used in the classroom. I'm insecure about speaking English myself though.